Sunday, October 10, 2010

I love meat

After a long, LONG... really long day of dealing with my 3-year old's sudden, dramatic personality change (I'm convinced someone stole my sweet, angelic child and replaced him with a demon), and the added bonus of a chilly rain, I just needed... something.

What I'm really craving is a vacation sans children. But since that is not a feasible option, that leaves me wanting... meat.

Look at these things. Awww, schyeah. Beautiful. Delicious. Yum.  

Nothing that a thick, juicy, marbled steak can't fix, as far as I'm concerned.

If I really had my way, these would have been accompanied by mashed 'tators and a pint of Guiness.  But, if you must know, these bad boys didn't even hit the stove until about 9:30 and we just didn't have it in us to do anything else... except make a tall, stiff drink after the last, tasty morsel of heavenly Angus rested comfortably in our tummies.

The perfect recipe for steak: let come to room temperature, and give a nice rub down of olive oil, salt and pepper, then sear on the stove top in a very hot pan on each side for just a couple of minutes to seal in the juiciness. Finish off in the broiler, just 3-4 minutes on either side. Finally, let rest for a good 5 minutes before cutting in so that the juices have time to redistribute. (If you cut into a freshly cooked steak, all the juices will run out on to the plate... You can't want that.)

Perfection.

Yes, I'm a bit of a food snob. But, I think everyone should be. Why eat something that is mediocre at best, or ... **shiver** worse. I enjoy eating quite a bit. It's not just the food... Although I love flavors and textures and colors and aromas...  It's the experience of the meal that I love. It means something. A moment in time. A snapshot of life. A relationship. A conversation. A feeling. A celebration. A mourning. A memory. An old friendship. A new friendship. A warm greeting. A sad goodbye.

Even when it comes to my fall-back bring-to-work lunch of PB&J, it's made with only the best ingredients; organic nothing-added peanut butter, fresh fruit spread (no sugar added) and wheat uber-fibered up bread. Delicious.

I love meat. We don't eat red meat very often, probably less than once every other week. But, oh, do I crave it. Mmm, mmm, mmmMMMMMM!

I was very happy to have a big ol' plate full this evening. Hit the spot.

1 comment:

A Conservative Unclogged Blog said...

ummunumnumnumnum...yum
I don't eat red meat as much as the Mr but I do love a good steak! I guess I overlook how fortunate we are to grow our own grass fed goodness.

Have you ever dined at Ruth's Chris? If you haven't, I highly recommend..but be prepared to drop a buck and half for two at least. The filet they prepare is no less than perfect (at least the locations I have been to).