Monday, October 4, 2010

Death to the "no open-toe shoe" policy!

Adidas Running Shoe - Beautiful!


I have a love affair with shoes. I always have. The irony is that I actually prefer to be barefoot (or bear toed, as my Picklebean would say). But it doesn't stop me from admiring great shoes. 


I discovered Adidas running shoes. I used to be a Nike girl. But... recently, when I did the side by side bounce test, I found that Adidas just fit me a tad better. A running shoe, yes, but I also wear them for just about any type of activity. They're that great.


A couple of years ago, I purchased an uber comfy pair of Rockports. An attractive shoe it is not. Well, at least not to my tastes. But nothing beats its comfort. I can walk all day and night in those things. And thank goodness. For $120, they better wear well. 


Black Boots - Fabulous!
I'm also a sucker for a great black boot. Look at these. Aren't these great? I wear my boots with skirts, jeans and slacks. I wear them to work. I wear them on weekends. It's just a great lookin' boot. Sassy. Sexy (if worn properly). Classy. Conservative.


But nothing, I tell you nothing beats my red suede pumps.


I'll tell you a little story about my red suede pumps. Our trips to Chicago aren't just for vacations. They also mark massive shopping sprees. I've never found such great clothes as I have in Chicago. For whatever reason, everything looks, feels and fits better in Chicago. I don't know why.


We found ourselves at the Water Tower - which is kind of an upscale mall. As we were meandering through one of the department stores, I discovered, to my surprise and delight, there was a colossal shoe sale. For someone who loves shoes, this is an impossible temptation to overcome. My poor husband... The things he endures for me. I soon was lost in a sea of sandals, pumps, boots, mules, slippers, you name it.  Shaking his head in utter disgust at my lack of self control, my husband just walked away, pushing Jeffrey in the stroller far, far away from me - so as to shade our son from such  gluttony. 
THE Red Suede Pump


Minutes... perhaps hours (who really knows for sure) passed, when eventually I saw Scott's head over the top of the shoe rack, making his way through the maze of shoes back to me. When, lo and behold, a pop of color caught my eye: a gorgeous pair of red suede pumps with little peek-a-boo toes. Nuh, UH!!!! And in my size!


Oh, my beating heart. 


Quickly, I tossed my tennies and slipped on these exquisite pieces of heaven, just as my husband rounded the corner towards me.


In as calm a voice as I could muster under these dire circumstances, I looked at him with big puppy eyes and said, "I don't know.... What do you think?"





His eyes shifted to my feet... and then ever-so-slowly up my legs... and ssssslllllooowwwwlllllyyyyy back to my feet. He swallowed hard. And then in his always composed way, he remarked, "Oh, yeah... You need those."




Ladies, when a man tells you, "you need those" shoes, trust me, you need those shoes. 


I made my purchase. And I've been in love ever since. With those red suede pumps with the little peek-a-boo toes. (Oh, I love my husband, too. He totally earned a few points that day.)


These shoes can be worn with just about anything. They look great with jeans. They look awesome with a skirt. They look amazing with slacks. They're appropriate for a night out. And they are, in fact, appropriate for the workplace. (Although if you ever have to negotiate stairs, pay attention! Every time I make it to the top or bottom without incident, I have a private celebration in my mind because, really, that could have easily gone another way.)


There is not a day I wear these shoes that I don't get complimented. Women everywhere love them. (And why wouldn't they?) They're FAH-bulous, dah-ling!


Do you want to know a heartbreaking fact? (I've had to come to terms with this little tid-bit of information that I'm about to share with you. And, yes, I have had a few bad days over it.) My current employer has a "no open-toed shoe" policy. 


**GASP**

**SHUTTER**

Say, wha?

**Hyperventilate**

**Hold breath**


**Blood curdling, classic horror movie scream**





NnnnnnnNNNNNOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!


**Someone hand me a box of tissues and a paper bag, please.**


This, my friends, is a tragedy. A TRAGEDY, I tell you! 


I would totally contest this. But... this is a conflict of interest for me. I am, after all, an HR professional. It is my job to uphold and enforce company policies. I actually get paid to do this. 


But, oh dear Fire Chief, if only you knew how adorable these shoes are. You might change your mind. At the very least you could make an exception to the rule... for amazing red suede pumps with peek-a-boo toes. 


I'd be thrilled to re-write the policy. Just let me know when you're ready.  (Is now good for you?)


Please don't make me beg. (But I'm not above that, if necessary. Just sayin'.)

No comments: