Monday, October 18, 2010

Faded

People are funny. They never cease to amaze and confuse me.

A few years back, I made (what I thought was) a good friend. We had a lot in common. We had a few laughs. People often commented about how alike we were - like sisters. Then God put it on my heart to ask her if she was interested in becoming accountability partners - basically to discuss what is happening in our lives, past and present, and help one another hold true to our faith in the way we handle life's offerings. We would meet once a month or so, and just kind of unload on each other. Sometimes we just helped each other find words for our "stuff."  Sometimes we held each other to the fire.  Then we would pray for each other.

At that time, I was pretty uncomfortable praying out in front of other people. I think some people can do that naturally. Others of us have to work through some self-conscious baggage before we're able to really intercede without concerning ourselves with the "perfect" words or the "perfect" prayer.

I think back on that now and kind of have to laugh. I mean, what's there to be self-conscious about? I love praying for other people. I find great joy in having God nudge me and ask me to stop and pray for someone. I've never once had someone say, "No, thank you." Most people welcome the opportunity to be prayed for.

Anyway... I digress.

This lasted a year or so. I shared things about myself that I have never shared with anyone. And I mean anyone.  I shared things that maybe a small handful of others know about. The point is that I opened myself up a great deal to allow her into the deepest parts of my heart in the hopes that through it, I would grow closer to Christ. And the same for her.

I don't know what happened. I have my guesses. But... through a series of events, we sort of drifted. We're no longer friends. Not because I wouldn't want to be. I would. I still love her dearly. I was honored to know her and to share in her life's journey. I know things about her that I'm sure very few others know. I saw a very sad, broken, troubled part of her soul.  (Which, come to think of it, was how we first connected. I saw a lot of sadness behind her smiles. I wrote her an email once and just spoke a few words of honesty, to which she replied, "You're a very perceptive young lady.")  I tried talking to her about where we stood on a couple of occasions, but... to no avail. It was just lost. And I don't know for sure why.  When I left Oregon, there was hardly a goodbye.

This makes me sad on a number of levels.

I am pretty discerning about with whom I share my deepest parts. Sometimes I make mistakes. Sometimes I've chosen wisely.

It feels good to make a new friend. But it sure is disappointing when a friend (new or old) sort of fades away, especially when there is no explanation.

Honesty goes a long way with me. Some people just don't have that same ideal. Maybe they're afraid of the honesty. Maybe they're afraid of the vulnerability.  Maybe it's something else altogether.

Space is a big deal with me, too. Sometimes relationships build so quickly that you just need to take a step back and evaluate where you are. I don't like being smothered, and I certainly don't want to be the one doing the smothering.

Certainly, two friends can drift apart. But I still think they owe it to one another to be honest.

I just never understand silence. I also don't understand cursory conversations where once something much more rich existed, even in the way we greeted one another.

My friends will always know where I stand.

But, hey, that's cool.

2 comments:

A Conservative Unclogged Blog said...

oh-boy-oh, I do know this experience....too well sometimes. it hurts, it perplexes me....I don't have any cliche or quirky quips or answers...just 'uh huh, I get it'

Ky, you and I seem somewhat similar...very open & honest, not holding back...and even transparent in a complex way...sometimes people just don't want to get past a certain comfort level in their relating to others and in their relating of themselves in Christ which requires gut-wrenching honesty (I have found very few in my path thus far who can handle this in me)

Whatever the cause, it is hard to not wonder about...to not miss...to not grieve a friendship whose paradigm has shifted for no apparent reason. : (

ok, stupid colloquial quip follows....
'where there is one door that shuts, another opens'
I am rolling my eyes at my own cliche thought and then laugh with Jesus....glad He gets my corniness & snarky side...I asked Him, 'are you sure to say that?' He said it, not me. I swear, I tried to ignore it, but He wouldn't relent.

Kyra Matkovich said...

We've talked about this many times... I just am so confused about where people are with friendships. It's funny, though, how many people respond to posts like this. Seems it happens to everyone... Sad, huh? But, better to know now than some time when you really need them, right?

Just for the record, I think you're a pretty damn good friend. And I know... We've been around the block a time or two together, huh? Grateful for your friendship.