Thursday, March 4, 2010

TMI too often

Someone called me the Queen of TMI a couple of days ago.

I have to be honest when I say that kind of hurt my feelings, but then I realized that it does ring a bit true. I do tend to just lay it out there (until recently). But perhaps that's a turn off to a lot of people. Here's the dealio. I am who I am. I'm not ashamed. I'm sorry if you (or whomever) thinks I'm too open, but... that's just the way I roll.

Additionally, I noticed on the last 3 blog entries, at least, I said something to the effect of "here's the quick low-down" and the proceeded to write an entire freakin' novel. That's pretty funny. Scott always tells me that words are like gold. The fewer you have, the more precious they are. So I guess my words aren't worth much. Ouch.

I haven't been known for my brevity. I'm trying to learn to be more "to the point" when I speak and/or tell stories. I, like so many women, feel like I need to set the stage and give all the extraneous details of everything before I get to the meat of the story. It's almost like reliving the entire moment when retelling a story... and it takes almost as long. Men aren't like that.

I've actually found myself recently biting my tongue - wanting to say something more (or something at all) and consciously stopping myself.

I won't necessarily do that here, though. I write unfiltered (for the most part) for my own benefit. If you happen to stumble upon my entries and either get bored or start skimming because it's way TMI, well... that's ok. You don't have to read it. You're welcome to stop at any time. But this is often where I sort through my thoughts, chronicle my life's events (and, yes, I actually try to get as much detail in as possible) and just sort of allow my thoughts to stream naturally.

But when it comes to speaking, I'm going to continue to try (try is the key word here, folks) to keep it brief. Don't laugh.

I just had a conversation from the past fly through my thoughts. Tim and Scott will remember this well... it had to do with me being "quiet in nature." I won't relay it here because I don't need all you readers nodding your head in agreement.

So... that's my confession of the day. I talk too much.

But I also love peanut M&Ms too much.

So I have that going for me.

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Your detail is what make you a great writer. Don't change a thing!