Saturday, January 9, 2010

The age old debate...

And this is why I love Twinkie.... I found this message in my inbox this morning. I had to post it here just to continue the debate.

"...And while it is dark and gloomy outside, and lonely inside, and with my pain and opium and sleep deprived brain, that I’ve been taking the time to read all your postings on your website.

With every post of yours that I read, so many things come to light about who you are and what you’re hoping to achieve in this world. And, with each one of your posts, I realize just how different you and I are. Here are a few examples:

You are deeply religious and have such heart felt beliefs in your faith – I am not religious and have little faith in anything.

You continually strive to be a better person – I am one who feels that if someone doesn’t like me, that’s their problem.

I am a FemiNazi – you are so not that way.

I tend to find fault with everything and everyone – you strive to find the goodness in everyone and everything.

I have a temper with a very short fuse – you are calm and understanding.

You have a fun loving wit – my humor tends to be more on the cutting side of things.

You tend to overlook (and accept) the vast differences of opinions of those around you – I tend to feel people who don’t share my opinions are ignorant.

You are a very fun loving person – I am a (too) serious person.

You are a Republican – I am a Democrat.

You’re a Bears fan, I’m a Favre fan (and he don’t play for da Bears!)

The list goes on and on, but those touch on some of the highlights concerning just how different we are; and the most amazing thing to me is that with all those (important) differences in who we are, that YOU could possibly like – and understand someone like ME…and for that, I will forever be grateful. I’ve attempted to learn from you, and have strived over the past few years to be a better person (like you) and I hope it is working.

HOWEVER…..and there’s always a ‘however’, isn’t there? In one of your postings, you mentioned that you HATE PEPSI, that you are a Coke chick. Now, with everything our friendship has endured over the years, this is one area, Kyra, that I just don’t know if we can overcome. I can’t believe that someone I hold in such high regard, someone who I strive to be more like, someone who is so true to herself…could actually drink that nasty stuff (Coke), for crying out loud! Have you no respect for yourself? Do you truly understand the (present and future) ramifications of your choice in this matter? Make no mistake, this is very serious.

Oh, did I mention that the one thing we DO share – the one thing that we DO have in common? It’s our PASSION…...

….and one of my many passions is PEPSI…..8-10 cans a day of the stuff, to be exact.

So, you see, it is extremely difficult for me to understand how such a warm, wonderful, compassionate, seemingly well educated person such as yourself could even THINK about drinking Coke – and hating PEPSI.

I’ll have to mull this one over for a while to see, if like you do with me (constantly), I can overcome this very large obstacle and understand that all folks have faults and that we should love them anyway and accept who they are in spite of some of the (terrible) choices they make and how they live their life (with Coke drink in hand). Like I mentioned earlier, I AM trying to be more like you in the understanding department. If I can succeed in that, we can still be friends, even though.……"

This is how I respond:

Here is why I don't like Pepsi. It's too sweet and not fizzy enough. Coke is less sweet and more fizzy. I like the fizz more than I like sweet. Every time I order Pepsi, it tastes flat (no fizz) and like it has at least 3 tablespoons more sugar than is necessary (far too sweet). I even ordered some with my lunch yesterday just to say I've given it another shot, but... no... it still sucked. Not fizzy enough. Too sweet. Yuck.

And that is why I like Coke over Pepsi.

Try the side by side taste test and you'll see what I mean. Scott likes Pepsi for those very reasons. He likes more sweet and less fizzy. I think I like fizzy because I like big, hefty, truck driver belches. (That sounds disgusting... But it seems cleansing for some reason.) Gross, yes, but true. Burps are funny, I don't care who ya are. And now with children, they're even funnier. When I burp, Jeffrey always says, "Mommy threw up." And that alone is worth it.

So, dear readers, what is your vote? Coke? Or Pepsi? (And why?)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Diet Coke, but I would really rather have black coffee. There is just to much sugar period for me in regular soda. I can't imagine drinking 8 to 10 cans a day of anything.

Anonymous said...

In the United States, I only like Coke if it's out of the fountain with lots of ice... Coke in a can or plastic bottle is YUCKY!!!! I make the clarification "in the United States" because in places I've been overseas, a different sweetener is used instead of corn syrup. I don't know what it is because I can't read the ingredients, even if they were listed. But the sweetener is different, you can ask anybody who has tried both, and the mystery sweetener is better. On the other hand, I'm not much of a Pepsi fan either. I have to agree, it's too sweet and somewhat flat. But I LOVE DR PEPPER, so point for Pepsico. I even think DP from a can is ok, although it must be VERY cold if it comes from a can.... from the fountain is still better.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, and NEVER, EVER diet anything if I can help it. Give me the real stuff baby.

Kyra Matkovich said...

I believe that mystery sweetener is good ol' sugar! It makes a HUGE difference. They use that in Mexico, as well, so when you get Coke out of a bottle it is literally H-E-A-V-E-N! mmmmm. Speaking of sugar, I need a martini. (By the way, that is NOT a Coke or Pepsi product. **wink**)

Anonymous said...

I think it's sugar too. All my favorite drinks and sweet foods have sugar in them.... Without fail, if I really like something, it's got sugar in it. yum :) Could you make me a martini?

Kyra Matkovich said...

Why, yes I can! I could make you one (or several) of many varieties... YUM!