Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It still stands...

I will have grace regarding other posts I've written that may have hurt people's feelings. I'll submit.

But, I stand by my statement that Oregonians are terrible drivers.

Don't take it personally. A few of you are decent drivers. But the vast majority are not. Case in point, I was traveling east on Silverton Rd (where there are no turn lanes) at 38 mph in the right lane. In the left lane was a bunch of traffic, all coming to a stop because someone was turning left. (As I said, there are no turning lanes.)  A gal decided that rather than wait, she would pull out directly in front of me, from a dead stop, so she could continue on her merry way. What she failed to realize is that I was only 10 feet from her bumper. She never looked over her shoulder. Never used her turn signal.

It was pouring rain.

I slammed on my brakes. I hit the horn (for a really long time). She never so much as glanced in my general direction.

It was by the grace of God alone that I didn't skid out and slam directly into the back of her, which probably would have caused her to hit at least one, if not two, other vehicles. (There were pedestrians on the sidewalk... It's not outside the relm of possibilities that one of them could have been hit, as well.)

Guess what? She was on her freakin' phone. And she was too busy talking to realize that she almost caused a massive accident.

This kind of thing happens not just daily, but often several times in one day. 

Sheesh.

No comments: