Friday, April 10, 2009

Savor

This morning the Spencer family had their memorial service for their baby (Logan) who died just 90 minutes after birth due to a genetic disorder. The baby wasn't expected to live, and the family knew that if the child survived until birth that their time together would be short - minutes, maybe seconds.

I just wonder, how do you prepare for such a thing? Ever since prayer requests were emailed to the staff, my heart just started breaking for them. I think I'm especially sensitive since I'm pregnant and had to deal with some tough news early on that I might miscarry. I honestly can't imagine hearing that I may carry the baby to full term and that very soon after the child would die. I'm so impressed with their decision to carry Logan to term (rather than take the "easy" way out by terminating the pregnancy, which I think so many would likely choose). In talking to Scott about this, God must bestow a tremendous amount of grace, and, truly, this would be the only way to get through it. How unbelieving families could walk through such a horrific journey is beyond me.

It wasn't my baby, but I'm just broken over this tragic story. Birthing a child, and holding that precious life in your hands as God gently releases him from this world... you must savor every second. On the front of their memorial program was a beautiful picture of Logan all wrapped in blankets with the hands of the family laying on top - as if praying him safely to heaven. If a picture speaks a thousand words, this one spoke a million.

While there are no words that would truly bring comfort to the family, I'm quietly praising Jesus that He saved this child the troubles of this world. He will never experience pain or sadness, or sin, or loss... I would like to believe that Jesus was holding Logan from his first breath to his last, and that he never knew there was even a transition from this life to the ever-after. It's hard to worship when you experience such a loss (I can only assume), but I know that there is hope and pray that, if they aren't already, they will soon be worshipping again.

Praise that Logan is home with his Heavenly Father. I can't imagine a better place to be.

No comments: