Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Flutter flutter

For the last couple of days, I've felt baby Wigglebean fluttering. It's kind of an odd feeling at this stage. The first pregnancy, I'm pretty sure I would have thought that was something else. (People told me it was probably gas, but, com'on... I'm 36 and have experienced my fair share (and then some) of gas. This is not gas flutter. Trust me on this.)

I love that feeling. It's just a little reminder of a life that God has entrusted to me and the joy of an answered prayer. (That is, an answer that I wanted... Cuz I believe God always answers our prayers, just maybe not in the way we would like.)

I made the announcement at work today... I actually got a little choked up, which was weird for me. Everyone clapped, and in the midst of the claptor, we hear Scott's voice pipe up, "So, when were you going to tell me about this?" Everyone laughed... Just for the record, Scott knows. And, yes, it's his.... The milkman will be disappointed.

I've been told in the last few weeks that second pregnancies are ton a fun. I mentioned that before. And when I say "a ton of fun" I actually mean that they really are not. I'm 12 1/2 weeks, and I'm already showing. Not to mention the fact that when all this stuff was happening, my doc tells me I need to "take it easy" which meant no exercise, no heavy lifting (including my 35 pound toddler), and that I basically need to just sit and rest. I hate just sitting. But, honestly, I've been so exhausted and nauseated that it was a welcome order to which I would happily (ok, a bit grudgingly) comply. Sitting is not a good task for me. I don't "sit" well. When I sit, I become bored. And when I'm bored, I eat. You can see where this is leading. Yes, I've been eating more than I should. The funny thing is that most of what I was eating (up until about 2 weeks ago) was fruit and salad. I've never in my life craved salad. It tastes so crisp and fresh! Yum! According to the scale, I've actually only put on about 3 pounds. But my body, which has an elephant's memory of pregnancy #1, has poofed out like I'm 6 months pregnant. I'm wider. I'm plumper (or fluffier). Everything is bigger. And my belly is already showing. I'm sort of in that inbetween stage when people wonder, "Is she pregnant? Or just fat? I'm afraid to ask..." The answer to which is yes and yes. I'm pregnant AND fat. So there.

It's time for maternity clothes. I wish I could just wear my PJ's to work. That's the most comfortable.

I miss coffee. I miss martinis. I miss beer. I miss sushi. Not necessarily in that order.

But I'm grateful for ice cream, pickles, pineapple and apples, in that order.

No comments: