Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A love for animals

Jeffrey and I were watching Animal Cops on Animal Planet last night. (I typically have to turn this off eventually because the stories of animal abuse are so sad... I can't handle it... I'm a big softy for dogs, especially.) One of the stories was about a pooch that managed to jump into a frozen lake and fall through the ice. Obviously, they were trying to rescue the little guy, who was completely freaked out so kept swimming out further and further away. Poor little thing was FREEZING and wet... so sad. Jeffrey was cuddled under my arm enjoying his pre-bedtime warm milk. He loves to see animals on TV. He points and makes all the animal noises that correspond to what he sees. (He's so smart like that.) He saw this little dog drowning and he just started to bawl his eyes out. It wasn't a little whine (like he does when the birds fly away and he can't see them anymore). This was a full-on face-contorted, crocodile tear cry. It was so cute. They'd switch to an interview with one of the officers on the scene, and he'd stop. Then they'd switch back to the dog in the water, and again Jeffrey would start to cry. It ended well. Pooch was saved, so Jeffrey and I clapped.

I'm so proud of him. He already has such a big heart for animals, much to the chagrin of my husband who really could live without them unless they are nicely grilled to a perfect medium rare and sitting on his dinner plate along side some cheddar mashed potatoes. Needless to say, Scott is not an animal lover and would never in his life shed a tear for one. I, on the other hand, cry when an animal ALMOST gets hurt... Jeffrey seems to have inherited my soft spot. So, I guess I have much to look forward to when he brings home lost and hurt animals of all varieties. Which is ok with me, because I love them. Scott, however, will do all he can to ensure that they stay no longer than one night tops - and most likely in a box on the back door step.

Two against one. We win.

No comments: