Friday, April 17, 2009

The prayer that changed my prayers

Several weeks ago, we were hanging out with our dear, dear friends Dale & Susan at their place. (This is at least a weekly thing... We spend quite a bit of time with them. We just love them to pieces!!!) We were chatting about our kids and how we pray(ed) for them. Their kids are now grown and have kids of their own. Dale was sharing with us how he just misses his kids when they were wee little (like their grandson, Colton, who is about 2 1/2, and Jeffrey who is now 21 months). We could just see the longing in his eyes as he remembered them...

We were discussing what a privilege it is to pray for our young ones. I was saying how my prayers are often turning towards Jeffrey, and now this new life within me.

They advised us to begin praying for Jeffrey's future wife. They reminisced about how awesome it was for them to pray all those years, and then to finally meet the ones that God had chosen for their sons. It was so touching.... I thought I've gotta start doing this!

From that day forward, every night when I tuck Jeffrey in, I lay my hands on him and pray over him. Among many things I pray that Jesus would meet him in his dreams and that Jeffrey would come to know his voice; that God would bless him with a long, joyful life and a meaningful ministry... (I pray other things, too, but that's just between Jeffrey, me and Jesus.) Once I'm done praying for Jeffrey, I pray for the wife that God has already ordained for him. I pray for her in a very similar way, but not knowing who she is, where she is, or anything about her family, I pray in a very specific way about her heart and the health of her soul, her family, her safety, her future, and the preparations that God is already making for the one day that Jeffrey and she will meet.

The oddest thing. Praying for a girl I likely do not know (maybe I do; only God knows) and how the relationship between her and my son will grow has altogether changed my prayer life. I can't really explain it to you with words. It's just an incredible feeling, and I can tell that God is very present with me (and likely her). Jeffrey can feel it, too. He is always very wiggly and talkative, but once the prayers begin, he settles down right away and is completely focused on my words, his eyes fixated on mine. It's so cool.

I'm looking forward to the day when Jeffrey brings home this young lady and I will have the honor of looking at her and saying, "I've been praying for you...."

Parents, if you aren't already praying for your little ones, please start. And if you haven't ever thought about praying for the life-mate that God has already chosen for them, pray for them as well. You will be blessed beyond measure.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love it! I do this for my kids too...I've also been praying for their teachers & friends...just entrusting their whole worlds to His hands... you go girl!!! Battle on for your little man! Protect him with His protection!