Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Memories of Home

I'm a happy subscriber to Sunset magazine. I can't help it. Not only do I love the recipes (cuz, as you may know by now, my husband and I love to create culinary masterpieces in the comfort of our own kitchen), but I also love the articles on NW gardens and weekend getaways.

This month (well... March), I was delighted to see a segment on the West's Top 20 Small Towns. I love small towns. I always thought I was a big city, urban kinda gal. I probably was for a season. But, now that I've weeded out all the noise and I'm settling into a welcomed, peaceful time in my life, I really miss what small towns have to offer. It breaks my heart when I wake up in Salem every day - a town that offers so little; void of identity, ownership, community and heart, but yet has so much potential! I dream of living in a small town again....

I grew up in Corvallis, Oregon. I had a great childhood (in some ways), but once I hit the teen years, I dreamed (drempt? what is the past tense of dream?) of a place where I could spread my wings and taste freedom. (So, I ended up in Los Angeles... Got my taste. Check.) Now, I dream of returning. I love Corvallis. It's such a cute little college town with a ton of culture and life. There are wonderful little eateries, places to taste fine wine and fine food, enjoy community: the central library, Central Park, the Beanery, hiking not too far off, and lots of friendly faces. Got my tattoos in Corvallis (Sacred Art Tattoo, baby!). I have a ton of great memories - baseball games, football games, swimming at the Aquatic Center, 4th of July at the waterfront, barbecues and my dad's company picnics at Avery Park (where the dinosaur bones are!), Ridgewood Hill (my childhood home) summer cleanup, da Vinci Days, the Fall Festival, just too many childhood memories to count. I drank my first beer (both legal and underage - whoops) in Corvallis. I bought my wedding dress in Corvallis. Floated down the Willamette for the first time in Corvallis... (My favorite Chinese restaurant of all time is there - China Blue. Order the Singapore Noodles if you ever have the chance. They are to die for!) Corvallis sure has it changed over the years. It has become a quaint little city, with lots to offer young and old alike. I would love to raise my children there.

Fun fact: Did you know that no building in downtown Corvallis can be taller than the Courthouse? (Actually, according to city planning, no building can exceed 75 feet, which I believe is just shy of the total height of the courthouse...)

So, back to Sunset, Corvallis was listed as one of the Top 20 Small Towns! Yea, Corvallis! (Read the article here.) Who knew that the town I couldn't wait to leave would end up on the West's Top 20 all these years later. So cool. Hats off to all yous who live in Corvallis. I hope you know what a great little town you live in.

No comments: