Saturday, January 8, 2011

It has been a while since I last blogged (or "glogged," as I just typed), so I suppose it's time for an update. In all honesty, it isn't that I haven't been inspired to blog. I've just be so, so, so busy. And when I finally have the time, it's at the very end of the day when we've finally managed to get both kids in bed (and they've finally stayed) and asleep, and I need to decompress a little. As a result, the blog suffers. So sorry to my faithful readers (all ... what... 25 of you?).

I know your next question. I get it all the time. "What has you so busy?" Well, for starters, my job is crazy-go-nuts. I mean... for me, it's in a good way. Because I seriously love what I do. I know for many, that is just incomprehensible. Most people only dream of loving what they do. But, truly, I found my perfect match in my career, and by the grace of God, He spoke to me about a job about 10 months ago, and on a whim I applied, completely forgetting that I did such a thing, and then through a series of events that only God could have orchestrated, He handed me a gift practically on a silver platter. (I still haven't blogged about that whole deal. One of these days I might... It's an awesome story!)  All that to say, I freakin' love where I am, what I do, and the people (waddup, 7's!) I get to interact with almost on a daily basis... Wait... yep. Pretty much on a daily basis. (See, my phone or email is constantly going off... Such is the life of an HR girl for a fire department, which, duh, is a 24-7 operation. So, if you haven't already put two and two together, this pretty much means that there is something going on at all hours of the day and night every day of the week. Lucky me, I'm often right in the middle off it. Which... kinda rocks. Just sayin'.)

I'm super excited about what this next year will bring. We've embarked on an accreditation process which is a very involved, time consuming process and will pretty much scrutinize our organization from the inside out. Since my department (HR) is new as of June 2010, there is a lot of work that needs to be done. That takes up a lot of my time. In addition, I'm starting a few new projects and programs to benefit the members of our organization, which I'm super excited about. (No sneak peak!) This, on top of my regular duties, which is the full time job. So... yeah... All that other stuff is work outside of regular work hours.

From the left: Fire Chief, Battalion Chief, and Deputy Chief
I had to share this... This is so how life at the F.D. works. After volunteer academy graduation, a few of us went out to grab a bite. Our phones and pagers are going off all the time, so, of course, everyone has to respond. Here we are, sitting at the table, all the gents are lookin' sharp in their Class A's, and ... the phones get whipped out. It was like this all through the meal. This would never be acceptable anywhere else. I've become one of them.  Cracks me up.

Aristotle the Distracting SQUIRREL!


And here is my office mascot, Aristotle. My friends Jen & Michelle (Hi!) gave him to me for Christmas. He has a whole wardrobe of outfits from Uncle Sam to a Samurai warrior. He's a very wise, philosophical squirrel. And he's very distracting. SQUIRREL!  The Fire Chief doesn't like his name. He tried naming him Sid, but Sid reminds me of Ice Age (Sid the Sloth), so that didn't work for me. I told him if he could come up with something better, we would consider changing his name. So far, he's got nothin'.

And then... I still have a husband, who apparently still likes me because he wants to spend time with me. Weird. And I have two beautiful babies who need their mommy.  Oh, and I still have friends who would like to see me come up for air every once in a blue moon.

So, yeah. I'm busy.

Scott is still working for Ridgeview. I won't comment on that whole deal as some things are in development and I don't want to a) take away his thunder, 2) reveal too much, or c) head off any progress that is being made. But... I will say this: exciting times.


Jeffrey in Keystone
 Jeffrey is such a little man. Oh, my. He is hysterical! He's still as smiley as ever. He's pretty much completely potty-trained (minus the few accidents that still occur, or his just plain stubbornness). Like the time he refused to pee on the potty, and instead peed all over the kitchen floor. This was... 2 days ago. So, I made him clean it up. Now, moms, seriously, don't get all gaspy like I'm abusing him. It wasn't intended to humiliate or anything like that. He peed on the floor, made a mess, and I asked him to be responsible and mop it up. I helped him. But it made a point. And he got it. 

I cannot believe how developed Jeffrey's language is. Sometimes I forget he's only three. The things that come out of this kid's mouth. The other night I was tucking him in bed and we started singing, "Jesus Loves Me." (Ahhhh, warms my soul.)  He stopped and said, "Mommy, I can't see Jesus." I said, "You can't? Why not?" He replied, "Because, he's not here." I said, "Jesus is always with you." Long pause. I asked him, "Where is Jesus?" Jeffrey got a big smile on his face, put his hand over his heart and said, "I can't see Jesus because Jesus is in my heart!" I said, "That's right!" Long pause....

Jeffrey said, "There's a bone next to Jesus."

I couldn't hold that one in. I busted up. Ya know, it makes perfect sense. If Jesus is in his heart (which he takes literally at this age), he's absolutely right that there is a bone next to Jesus.

It's just too good.

And little Miss Eden. What a doll she is! One of our Battalion Chiefs is a good friend of ours. About a month ago, Scott and I took the kids up to Keystone for the weekend to meet up with a bunch of my coworkers while they were at a conference. We had everyone over to our condo one night for some socializing. The BC was watching Eden run around all over and finally said to me, "Who's the mother? She's too cute to be yours." hahahaha  That cracked me up. But he's absolutely right. I don't deserve Eden. She really is too cute for words. There isn't one single day that I don't look at her and think what a gift she is. All those issues from the start of that pregnancy are still so fresh in my mind.

Eden is a character. She is going to be quite the comedienne. She already has perfect timing. And she can keep a total poker face when she's teasing. She loves to play games with us. When she laughs, it's a full belly laugh. She giggles once in a while. She and Jeffrey are very different in that way (and pretty much all other ways). While he giggles and laughs constantly, she is very reserved. It's hysterical to watch.


What a love!
 It's hard to believe she's 15 months. 15!!!! She finally has teeth. That only took over a year. She runs around the house in her little footy-pajamas (which we call her Barbaloot suit - think Dr. Seuss) and I can't believe how much she's grown. But, she's still tiny and adorable. She was huge until about 9 months. Then she started slowing down. She's still about 25 pounds. She's fits exactly into the clothes for her age (12-18 months now). Her hair is all cropped and curly, almost like we had it cut that way, but it is just naturally adorable. She has the bluest eyes and the longest eyelashes... Lucky girl. And when she looks at you with those big, blue eyes, it just melts your heart. What a blessing.

Life in Colorado is grand! We got a ton of snow just before New Year's, so we had a four day weekend to spend sledding and romping in the snow. Such fun!

Daddy & Eden about to hit the hill


Daddy & Jeffrey gaining momentum

The little hill right outside our front door
It's such a stark contrast from life in Oregon. I'm affirmed every day that this is where we were meant to be. Sunny weather. Mountains everywhere. Snow, snow, snow!

We have friends again. Community. People that engage with us. People that invite us wherever(or vice versa) just because, and it doesn't have to be planned out months in advance. We go to coffee and talk. We go for walks. Go to the gym. Go to brunch. Go out for lunch or dinner or beers.

It feels so good to be home.

Really, really good.


No comments: