Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sudden Death

This will be the short version of tonight... will write more later.

My sister called me this evening with the horrible news that she had found her husband (John) unconscious. The EMTs were trying to revive him.... I arrived about 20 minutes later, and 2 minutes after that he was pronounced dead on their living room floor. We suspect a heart attack. He was 41 - would have been 42 on the 23rd of this month. They were married for almost 9 years.

So sudden. So unexpected. Truly sad. We don't know if he had accepted Jesus. Scott and I have been ministering to him for the past year or so. He has had many questions about Jesus, and recently told us that he started reading the Bible. I found one Bible on the back of their toilet, and another in his night stand drawer - on top of all the other books there (and with no dust... must likely because he was reading it frequently). He was obviously in pursuit. We just pray that the moments leading up to his last breath, that the Holy Spirit came to him and he fell willingly into the arms of Jesus. He had enough torment in this life to last an eternity, so we do so pray that this was the first day that he truly felt peace.

About 40 minutes later, Scott arrived (the token pastor). I have never been so grateful to see him. As soon as I saw him, I cried and whispered, "I appreciate you."

Life is incredibly fleeting. My sister kissed John goodbye this morning on her way to work. That was the last she spoke to him. And now he's gone.

I don't know what I would do if I lost Scott. I don't give a flying rat's butt about life insurance and wills and all that other stuff (although, yes, we have been very responsible in that area - prepared for the most unexpected) but I would give all that I have if I knew I could keep my Scobby by my side. He is my other half.

As I watched my sister mourn the news that "there was nothing more we could do", she held her heart with her hand as she sobbed.... I wondered if a piece of her was dying too. I'm sure it was. She said, "He drove me crazy... But I loved him so much...."

I pray that God would use these tragic circumstances to minister to her heart. I am confident that she will get through this. She's an incredible survivor. But I do so pray that on the other side of this, there will be great joy. May it be so.

Now, go love on your husband or your wife, and your children, and your loved ones. You never know when they will take their last breath.

No comments: